Construction of the new Norman Veterans Center began in March 1994, and was completed on November 1996. The facility consists of 239,000 sq. feet with a 301 bed capacity to serve both male and female Oklahoma Wartime Veterans. The total cost of the facility was $29 million, with 65% of the funding provided by the Federal Veterans Administration and the remaining 35% funded by the State of Oklahoma.
Gralla/Rees Associates Architects and Planners of Oklahoma City designed the facility to create a cheery, comfortable atmosphere for the residents. Hardwood floors, wood trim and columns, combined with plenty of light from several skylights are just some of the home like touches. Three two story patient wings originate from a central area encompassing a physical therapy room, recreation area with pool tables, pinball machines and a canteen.
The residents can also enjoy a dining room with a balcony and terrace as well as a gallery displaying the works of local artists. This spacious facility also features additional exterior activity areas such as pavilions along the walking trails, a fishing dock, scattered ponds and natural hill side with plenty of vegetation.
For admission information you may contact the Admissions Office at P.O. Box 1668 or 1776 E. Robinson St., Norman, OK 73070 or by phone at 405-360-5600 or by email.