As the State Approving Agency (SAA) for Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA) is under contract with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide oversight over all institutions offering education or training in the State of Oklahoma who participate in, or wish to participate in, GI Bill® educational benefits.
SAA utilizes a detailed approval and review process to confirm that institutions and employers participating in GI Bill educational benefits are compliant with Title 38 of U.S. Code and Federal Regulations, that they are qualified to provide the training offered, and that the training offered is of high quality.
SAA monitors approved programs by conducting on-site visits, regularly reviewing policies and programs, and by providing frequent training to school officials. Regular review and training ensures that schools and employers abide by the approved policies and certify enrollments correctly.
SAA ensures that every eligible military veteran and family member has the opportunity to pursue the educational endeavor of their choice, with confidence in the quality of the program and the administration of GI Bill benefits.
State Approving Agency staff responsibilities include:
- Reviewing programs of education and training to ensure compliance with Title 38 of U.S. Code and Federal Regulations.
- Conducting compliance surveys with participating schools and employers to confirm the accuracy and propriety benefit payments.
- Providing technical assistance and training to participating schools and employers in order to ensure continued compliance with Title 38 Law and to maintain the highest quality of benefit processing possible.
- Serving as a liaison between the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and schools, employers, veterans, and the State.
- Conducting outreach to prospective schools and employers to expand GI Bill training opportunities in Oklahoma.
- Providing information and training on GI Bill educational benefits to veterans, military personnel, family members, schools, employers, labor groups and other interested parties.
- Investigating complaints from beneficiaries utilizing GI Bill education benefits or on behalf of the VA.